Billing and Collections Specialist
Location: Casselberry, FL
Department: Finance – Revenue Cycle
Reports to: Revenue Cycle Manager
Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
The Billing & Collections Specialist is responsible for administering the billing and collections process of outstanding accounts receivable dollars from the existing client base and. This role also helps to resolve customer billing problems and resolves any discrepancies in billings and payments.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Verify the accuracy of invoices and other accounting documents or records
- Update and maintain accounting journals, ledgers, and other records detailing financial business transactions
- Enter data into internal databases and keep them up to date
- Compile data and prepare a variety of reports
- Reconcile records with internal company employees and management, or external vendors or customers.
- Recommend actions to resolve discrepancies
- Collect fees, fines, mail-in payments, and other monies owed to Avant
- Administer billing and collection procedures for all non-loan delinquent accounts
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with federal and state laws including, but not limited to, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
Marginal Functions of the Job
- Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Standard business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Additional time outside of these hours may be needed to complete the essential functions of the job.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent is required
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field is preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of billing and collections experience required
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications including Outlook, Excel, and Word
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification
Other Characteristics of the Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Regularly required to talk or hear
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation
- Performs repetitive routine tasks
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards
- Perform tasks that vary little from day to day
- Implements others’ decisions/procedures with little judgment required
- Must relay information orally
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
- Minimal travel required.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records.
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of “Avant” employee information and maintain security of such information.
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required.