Clinical Nursing Instructor
Location: Casselberry, FL
Department: Clinical Transitions Program
Reports to: Director of Clinical Education
Do you want to change lives? Are you interested in helping international healthcare professionals achieve their American Dream? If so, join us at Avant!
Avant Healthcare Professionals is the premier recruiting and staffing specialist for internationally educated healthcare professionals and we have been named to the Inc. 5000 List of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies for 7+ years. Our comprehensive program guides qualified registered nurses, physical and occupational therapists through each stage of the licensure and immigration process and makes it simple! Avant Healthcare Professionals has grown 40 percent annually since its inception in 2003, and with healthcare and social assistance employment projected to grow by 3.4 million, healthcare staffing is a thriving industry. While experiencing a period of tremendous growth, Avant offers tremendous opportunities for eager professionals looking for an opportunity to build their career.
Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
The Clinical Nursing Instructor I is responsible for teaching experienced internationally healthcare professionals (HCPs) in the classroom, skills lab, and clinical environments. This role will need to assess HCPs progress and learning needs in a timely manner during the three-week Clinical Transitions Program (CTP). The Clinical Nursing Instructor I will also validate the clinical skills of HCPs to ensure their skills and practice align with U.S. nursing.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Assist in the planning, development, and instruction of nursing courses to prepare HCPs to practice in the U.S.
- Prepare and deliver coaching plans for HCPs in CTP related to completion of Critical Care Modules, additional typing education due to not meeting program requirements, and/or requiring additional ECG remediation while using a prepopulated template
- Evaluate HCPs learning needs based on feedback from the Clinical Preparation Program (CPP), skills checklists and other data prior to commencement of the CTP
- Identify and assign appropriate learning activities and modules that are in alignment with the objectives and competencies for HCPs to enhance learning
- Monitor HCPs throughout CTP and escalate any concerns or gaps in a timely manner to HCP and necessary departments
- Engage the adult learner in the classroom by using teaching strategies that are based on adult learning principles
- Promote clinical thinking among the HCPs and show commitment to professional development and lifelong learning
- Conduct the American Heart Association course(s) according to the guidelines of the American Heart Association
- Confer with internal clinical departments regarding management of HCPs upon commencement of assignment, to ensure successful placement
- Provide HCPs with written and verbal feedback as part of a debrief after learning activities
- Prepare and create non-American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) approved nursing content
- Assist as a Subject Matter Expert as needed when creating or reviewing content in the clinical program (both ANCC and non-ANCC)
- Present ANCC Accredited education, as needed
- Document HCPs skills validations and CTP progress/competencies in internal database system accurately and timely
- Assist with clinical and non-clinical departments to ensure proper HCP management through a team approach
- Create content quarterly for internal HCP Newsletters and communication
- Ensure timely program revisions based on clinical standards and updates, client feedback and other key data
- Create and promote a positive, interactive, and nurturing learning environment such as, lectures, role-playing and simulation training
Marginal Functions of the Job
- Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Standard business hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM. Additional time outside of these hours may be needed to complete the essential functions of the job.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Associate Degree in Nursing is required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of 3 years as a Registered Nurse and 1 year as a Nurse Preceptor or Charge Nurse is required
- Experience in an academic setting or teaching/precepting nurses in a clinical environment preferred
- Experience working within the Acute Care Hospital setting required
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of routine medical equipment and devices
- Complete 6 hours of Continuing Education per year (4 Contact Hours with Education Focus and 2 Contact Hours of Leadership Focused)
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and collaboration skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, Adobe, and electronic database management
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification and ability to obtain and maintain
- Active, unrestricted Registered Nurse license in the State of Florida
- BLS & ACLS Provider preferred; required to obtain within three months of employment
- BLS & ACLS Instructor Certification preferred; required to obtain within three months of employment
Other Characteristics of the Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Regularly required to talk or hear
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must be physically capable of correctly demonstrating mannequin skills on all mannequins (infant, child, adult) on the ground/floor/table
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation
- Performs repetitive routine tasks
- Comfortable speaking in front of people
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards
- Perform tasks that vary little from day to day
- Must relay information orally
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
- Minimal travel required.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records.
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of “Avant” employee information and maintain security of such information.
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required.