Location: Casselberry, FL
Department: Accounting & Finance
Reports to: EVP of Finance and Strategic Planning
Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
The Controller is responsible for directing the organization's overall financial plans and policies, accounting practices, shareholders and the financial community in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles issued by the Financial Accounting Standards Board. Under the supervision of the EVP of Finance and Strategic Operations, this role develops and analyzes necessary accounting and statistical data and reports while overseeing the functions of payroll, tax, treasury, budgeting, accounting and insurance activities. The controller will also interact effectively with Avant’s management team members at all levels within the organization as well as with the Parent Company’s finance and accounting leadership team.
Essential Functions of The Job
- Supervise and lead the Company’s accounting team, including involvement in interviewing, hiring and training department staff; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Prepare all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, tax returns and other reports as required. Prepares monthly narrative of financial results
- Oversee the accounting and payroll departments, annual budget activities, tax compliance processes, and required forecasting and audit functions
- Work closely with senior management on department budgeting and proactively assess expenses and provide recommendations for planning purposes
- Review reports to analyze projections of sales and profit against actual figures budgeted expenses against final totals and suggests methods of improving the planning process as required for expansion
- May be responsible for the organization’s risk management functions, including insurance
- Manage the audit process and works with selected audit firm, as required
- Optimize the handling of bank and other lender and/or depository relationships and initiates appropriate strategies to enhance cash position, as applicable
- Develop a reliable cash flow projection process (weekly and monthly) and reporting mechanism which includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs
- Assist with financial overview for company meetings including the annual budget meeting, as requested
- Develop and refine finance and accounting policies and procedures, including the company’s system of internal controls
- Develop and manage accounting department goals, objectives, and systems. Prepares, drives and executes recommendations for action and improvement.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with other departments to assist in scaling the business in a rapidly changing environment.
- Implment and lead continuous improvement efforts that will result in a more effective and efficienct organization (e.g., reducing the financial close from 8 days to 5, and further automating the payroll process).
Marginal Functions of The Job
- Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position, and core hours of work and days are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Extra hours are likely to be required to successfully complete the essential duties of the position.
Education, Training, And Experience
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, business or a related field
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Minimum of 8 years of public accounting experience (Big Four preferred), or 5 years of experience as a controller with a $40M+ company
- 5 – 7 years of supervisor experience in related field
- Experience in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment
- Excellent computer skills, including expert-level skills with Microsoft Excel.
- High level of proficiency with accounting software required; experience with Sage Intacct a plus.
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- CPA license highly preferred
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification (may be completed after the commencement of employment)
Other Characteristics of The Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Regularly required to talk or hear
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards
- Must relay information orally
- Performs a wide range of complex tasks
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress
- Performs a wide range of tasks as dictated by variable demands and changing conditions
- Works with little need for guidance or reliance on oral or written instructions
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records.
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of employee information and maintain security of such information.
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required.