Billing Specialist II
Location: Casselberry, FL
Department: Billing & Collections
Reports to: Revenue Cycle Manager
Do you want to change lives? Are you interested in helping international healthcare professionals achieve their American Dream? If so, join us at Avant!
Avant Healthcare Professionals is the premier recruiting and staffing specialist for internationally educated healthcare professionals and we have been named to the Inc. 5000 List of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies for 7+ years. Our comprehensive program guides qualified registered nurses, physical and occupational therapists through each stage of the licensure and immigration process and makes it simple! Avant Healthcare Professionals has grown 40 percent annually since its inception in 2003, and with healthcare and social assistance employment projected to grow by 3.4 million, healthcare staffing is a thriving industry. While experiencing a period of tremendous growth, Avant offers tremendous opportunities for eager professionals looking for an opportunity to build their career.
Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
The Billing Specialist II is responsible for handling all routine Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) related duties and tasks for assigned clients, while providing high quality support and professional customer service. Assigned clients will typically be more high-touch and complex in terms of billing/invoicing structure, employee headcount, size, and other pre-determined factors. The Billing Specialist II will also be responsible for assisting the Billing & Collections team in resolving routine or complex issues that may arise and partnering with the Billing Specialist III and/or Revenue Cycle Manager to assist in escalated concerns as needed.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Support the Billing Specialist III and/or Revenue Cycle Manager in resolving complex or escalated issues by researching information and proposing/developing effective solutions
- Assist the Billing Specialists in resolving standard client discrepancies, short payments, and disputes in accordance to Avant’s Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) guidelines and procedures
- Assist the Billing Specialist III in the training and mentoring of Billing Coordinators and new Billing Specialists on the team
- Proactively assist the Billing & Collections team in identifying potential client billing issues and escalate accordingly to the Billing Specialist III and/or the Revenue Cycle Manager
- Administer standard RCM functions for assigned clients including but not limited to: ensuring timely and proper client remittance and invoicing, processing credit memos, and issuing client statements
- Follow up with assigned clients who are past due to ensure proper payment remittance and identify and escalate patterns of payment delinquency to the Billing Specialist III and/or Revenue Cycle Manager clients
- Represent Avant professionally by providing high quality and timely customer service to assigned clients by acting as a point-of-contact for any billing and collections questions or concerns
- Run reports weekly to monitor and stay up to date on key metrics such as Daily Sales Outstanding (DSO), for current and assigned clients to determine how their accounts are aging and if follow up is required.
- Conduct monthly reconciliations of billings, revenue, and unbilled amounts for assigned clients
- Prepare and process client invoices for review, by conducting a full reconciliation of billing with accounts receivables, ensuring accuracy, and that all charges were confirmed/supported
- Collaborate with internal teams such as Payroll, Finance, and Client Services to gather data related to client billing issues and work with the Billing Specialists and/or Revenue Cycle Manager for proper resolution
- Input or update any new customer/client information into Avant’s billing database, and act as the point of contact from other internal teams if there are questions regarding the entry
- Collect, update, and maintain client accounts payable contact information including but not limited to telephone numbers, email addresses, and point of contact, within the billing database
- Ensure all pertinent and required client information is collected and inputted accurately into internal databases to calculate receivables
- Assist the Billing and Collections team or Finance department on any projects related to the RCM process
- Check, update and maintain the internal Avant and RCM related databases, ensuring all entries are accurate
Marginal Functions of the Job
- Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Standard business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Additional time outside of these hours may be needed to complete the essential functions of the job.
Education, Training, and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Associate degree preferred
- Minimum 2 years of customer service and administrative experience required
- Minimum 3 years of RCM, client invoicing, or account collections experience required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, Adobe, and electronic database management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to build strong working relationships with assigned clients
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple priorities at once
- Excellent accuracy and attention to detail skills
- Ability to work independently and deliver high quality work at required deadlines
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification or ability to obtain
Other Characteristics of the Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Regularly required to talk or hear
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation
- Performs repetitive routine tasks
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards
- Perform tasks that vary little from day to day
- Implements others’ decisions/procedures with little judgment required
- Must relay information orally
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records.
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of “Avant” employee information and maintain security of such information.
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required.