Location: Casselberry, FL
Reports to: AVP and Corporate Controller
Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
Avant Healthcare Professionals is an international nurse staffing company. We directly employ international nurses who are assigned and managed by Directors of Nursing at numerous hospitals and health care systems all over the United States. The Payroll Manager will supervise the team in charge of processing weekly timecards (in Kronos) for a biweekly 40+ state payroll that covers over 1,000 field and corporate employees. This role will ensure accurate and efficient payroll cycles while overseeing system enhancements, effectively processing financial reports, and maintaining compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
Essential Functions of The Job
- Manage and ensure preparation of bi-weekly disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes for over 1,000 employees considering all deadlines
- Implement, maintain, and review payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Directly manage, lead, and supervise payroll staff while ensuring KPI’s are met and assessing performance of each member of the team
- Manage weekly timecards for assigned employees, including corrections, retro adjustments, etc.
- Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, tax forms, etc.
- Assure confidentiality and security of records and information
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates. Prepare payroll reports as needed
- Prepare payments associated with payroll and off-cycle transactions, as requested
- Partner effectively with Corporate HR and Benefits ti ensure proper governmental reporting and compliance.
- Manage the payroll processing for nurses in the field, deployed at various health care facilities nationally, that have unique shift/overtime pay rules and pay practices according to geography and client requirements
- Provide training and coaching on the payroll employee portal for all new hires and demonstrate the ability to work effectively with all relevant field staff (including Avant and client staff) to generate payroll accurately and timely
- Collaborate with other internal departments to resolve any employee time-keeping related issues in a timely manner
- Resolve ad-hoc payroll issues by effectively working with other Avant departments as well as external clients as needed
- Work closely with the Revenue Cycle Management team, responsible for accurate invoicing of Avant services to clients, to ensure accuracy of data accurately and effectively fil and maintain all employment records within all/any internal databases
- Assist with other ad hoc projects as needed
Marginal Functions of The Job
- Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Standard business hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Additional time outside of these hours may be needed to complete the essential functions of the job.
Education, Training, And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred; will consider equivalent combination of education and experience 5-7 years payroll department managerial experience, including team development, coaching, management and motivation of staff, mentoring and situational assessment skills required
- 3 years of supervisory experience required
- Experience with handling and managing at least a 1000-employee payroll required
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes required
- Ability to handle confidential matters with strong ethics and a high level of personal and professional integrity
- Must be a change agent and capable of guiding the team in initiating various change management initiatives Must possess strong analytical skills and be adept in interpreting strategic vision into an operational model
- Ability to produce accurate results while meeting established deadlines even when managing multiple priorities and frequent interruptions
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written communications
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills, with ability to relate effectively and tactfully with all levels of the organization
- High level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite products and ability to learn in-house software
- Kronos experience preferred
- Extensive data entry skills, spreadsheet, and word processing proficiency required
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification or the ability to obtain
- CPP Certification Preferred
Other Characteristics of The Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Regularly required to talk or hear
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation
- Performs repetitive routine tasks
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards
- Perform tasks that vary little from day to day
- Implements others’ decisions/procedures with little judgment required
- Must relay information orally
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
- Travel may be required
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of “Avant” employee information and maintain security of such information
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required