Project Manager & Scrum Master III
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Vice President of IT
Do you want to change lives? Are you interested in helping international healthcare professionals achieve their American Dream? If so, join us at Avant!
Avant Healthcare Professionals is the premier recruiting and staffing specialist for internationally educated healthcare professionals and we have been named to the Inc. 5000 List of America's Fastest-Growing Private Companies for 7+ years. Our comprehensive program guides qualified registered nurses, physical and occupational therapists through each stage of the licensure and immigration process and makes it simple! Avant Healthcare Professionals has grown 40 percent annually since its inception in 2003, and with healthcare and social assistance employment projected to grow by 3.4 million, healthcare staffing is a thriving industry. While experiencing a period of tremendous growth, Avant offers tremendous opportunities for eager professionals looking for an opportunity to build their career.
Summary of Position Role/Responsibilities
The Project Manager III & Scrum Master serves a critical role as a traditional program/project management expert. In addition, this role has the experience and skill to facilitate Scum-Agile methodologies for software development. The Project Manager III & Scrum Master works closely with business sponsors, business Product Owners, IT leadership, Business Stakeholders, and the Scrum team (when serving as Scrum Master) to ensure success delivering solutions and achieving stated goals. The Project Manager III & Scrum Master also serves as the project’s or scrum team’s point of contact for communications between stakeholders and the team.
Essential Functions of The Job
- Manage project initiation, planning, execution, work breakdown structure, resources, schedule, budget, and risk / issue management in accordance with PMI best practices
- Create project management tools templates
- Train, coach, and mentor less-experienced Project Managers
- Facilitate project status meetings for stakeholders
- Develop and maintain project communication and updates for projects and programs.
- Foster a productive work environment and promote an environment of continuous improvement in both delivered quality and productivity
- Ensure projects and programs conform with all regulations, company policies, and organizational procedures
- Guide and support project team members to successful project completion
- Facilitate sprint planning, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews, demo meetings, solution releases, and sprint retrospectives for software development and implementation
- Teach and execute the practices and rules of the Scrum-Agile framework to a company new to Scrum
- Guide the team in estimating practices (tee shirt sizing, points, planning poker); facilitate team estimates
- Address team impediments that are impacting progress
- Lead discussions to address obstacles faced by the team
- Track and report KPIs and team metrics while ensuring teams create and share knowledge artifacts
- Act as a communication bridge between business stakeholders, Product Owner, and Scrum team(s) to ensure all parties are sharing accurate information and aligned
- Maintain team data to support estimates and team metrics
- Present high-level project readouts to all levels of stakeholders
Marginal Functions of the Job
- Other duties as assigned
Normal Work Schedule
This is a full-time position. Standard business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Additional time outside of these hours may be required to complete the essential functions of the job and meet client requirements.
Education, Training, And Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Computer Science, Software Engineering highly desired but equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Five or more years of experience managing multiple, complex traditional (waterfall) projects
- Five or more years of experience as Scrum Master for a team undergoing Agile transformation
- Two or more years as Agile coach for a company undergoing Agile transformation highly desirable
- Ten or more years of total project management experience (Project Manager + Program Manager + Scrum Master)
- Expert on the rules and practices of Agile-Scrum methodology
- Expert on PMI-based project management practices
- Demonstrated ability to drive the project to meet deliverable deadlines
- Deep understanding of iterative software development
- Experience working with developers to size features and stories and to measure team velocity
- Passionate commitment to helping the team meet delivery goals
- Comfortable presenting project team readouts to all levels of stakeholders
- Deep understanding of agile metrics (backlog item tracking, burn-down charts, team velocity) to analyze and improve sprint performance
- Highly organized with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid leadership skills and ability to manage by influence
- Ability to thrive in a highly-collaborative, fast-paced, growth-oriented business environment
Required Licenses, Certifications, and Other Specific Requirements of Law
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) certification, or ability to obtain
- PMI Project Management certification required (PMP and / or PgMP)
- Agile Scrum Master certification required (PSM, or CSM)
- Product Owner certification highly desirable (PSPO or CSPO)
Other Characteristics of The Position
- Sitting for long periods at a time.
- Regularly required to talk or hear.
- Occasional lifting of office supplies up to 20 lbs.
- Vision abilities including close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Must understand and follow a set of clear oral and/or written procedures without deviation.
- Performs repetitive routine tasks.
- Withstand moderate amounts of stress.
- Must adhere to a provided work schedule to meet a set of qualitative production standards.
- Perform tasks that vary little from day to day.
- Implements others’ decisions/procedures with little judgment required.
- Must relay information orally.
- This job operates in a professional office environment.
- This role routinely operates standard office equipment.
Statement of Responsibility for Confidential Data
- Has access to, and requires daily use of, confidential records
- Required by federal law to maintain strict confidentiality of “Avant” employee information and maintain security of such information.
- Proprietary Information and Non-Conflict Agreement required.